When you use Crossplag™ and Akademia in order to check text for plagiarism any personal data you may have in that text is being processed by us and the text as a whole is being attributed to your account data. This document helps you understand how we process the data in particular and which rights you have regarding your personal data.
Personal data – what we collect and what we use it for
When you register, we create a personal account for you on Crossplag™ (“Account”). Data for your account is:
- Your username as in your email address
- Your securely encrypted password
This is mandatory, in order to provide you with plagiarism analysis results and make and keep them accessible to you. You can choose to add further personal data to your profile. The additional data you can add is your name, language, and gender. Account data is not public. It is being used to identify you and your documents internally for using the software towards Crossplag™ and (if applicable) to your organization.
If you employ an authentication from another web service (e.g.Google, Linkedin.) account data is being imported from that service.
1.3 Information in documents
When you run a plagiarism analysis for your text, the data from the text is processed in order to find matches with other documents. Semantically relevant word pairs are being extracted and are anonymously being sent to databases as search queries in a randomized fashion.
3 Your IP address, browser settings, and location
When you visit the Website, we register your computer’s IP address and browser settings. The IP address is the numerical address of the computer used to visit the Website. Browser settings can include the type of browser you use, browser language, and time zone. We collect this information so that we can trace the computer used in cases of misuse or unlawful actions in connection with visits to or use of the Website. We also use the IP address to approximate your location (at city level) and so that we know which sets of our Terms & Conditions apply to your use of our Website.
4 Newsletters and digest emails
We collect the information you provide us with when you subscribe to receive our newsletters, digest emails, or similar (we collect your name, email address, and newsletter preferences). If you no longer wish to receive our newsletters, digest emails, or similar, you can unsubscribe by following the respective link at the bottom of the newsletter.
5 For what purpose do we use your personal information?
We will use the information you provide to us to:
- Provide our services to you, including generating, displaying, and downloading your plagiarism scan results.
- Identify you as a registered user when you log in to the Website and re-visit the Website.
- Improve the Website and our services.
- Respond to your questions and provide related customer service.
- Contact you, if you participate in the plagiarism prevention pool, in case a user has questions regarding a match with a document of yours.
- Send you our newsletter (if opted in).
- Sharing documents with other users of your organization, in case you actively decide to do so.
- Engage in various internal business purposes, i.e data analysis, audits, fraud monitoring, and prevention, developing new products and services, improving or modifying the Website, or our services, identifying usage trends, determining the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns, and operating and expanding our business activities.
- Comply with legal requirements and legal process, requests from public and governmental authorities, relevant industry standards, and our internal policies.
- Enforce our Terms & Conditions.
- Protect our operations or those of any of our affiliates.
- Protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or that of our affiliates, you, or others.
- Allow us to pursue available remedies or limit any damages that we sustain.
We will also use the information in other ways for which we provide specific notice at the time of collection and processing.
6 On what legal basis do we process your personal data?
We need to process your personal information in order to:
- Perform our contract with you (see Article 6.1.b of the GDPR).
- Comply with our legal obligations (see Article 6.1.c of the GDPR) and operate an online plagiarism checker software.
- Pursue legitimate business interests of our own related to operating the Website and providing our services to you, or to pursue the legitimate interests of third parties as long as your interests and fundamental rights do not override those interests (see Article 6.1.f of the GDPR).
- For the establishment, exercise, or defense of legal claims, where necessary (see Article 9.2.f of the GDPR).
Some of these grounds for processing your personal data overlap, so there may be several reasons which justify us processing your personal information. In those limited circumstances where you have expressly given your consent to us to process your personal data (see Article 6.1.a of the GDPR), for example, when subscribing to our newsletters, you are free to revoke your consent at any time. However, please be aware that we may have the right to continue to process your information on legal grounds.
You have the right to object to how we process your personal information or ask us to restrict the processing. Please see below, at 13, for more details.
If you would like more information about our legal basis for processing your personal information, please contact our Data Protection Officer (DPO) – see 14, below.